Friday, April 2, 2010

Great Expectations

Remember the time when I used to post everyday? That seems so long ago. Somehow, I've gone a full week without posting. I'm sorry, my loyal readers (who knows, I could have one, somewhere). School has been bad this week. School is always bad. But, now it's Easter weekend, and seeing as I have no religious obligations, I will have lots of time to blog (and to catch up on homework. As always). Now, I know you are all waiting for the next category of the YA awards, but I think I may have to put it on hold for a little bit. I promise though, all the winners will be announced. Soon. Just as long as school isn't bad again.

This interruption in your previously scheduled programming is caused by an urgent movie review for all you romance-addicts out there. What film might that be? Well, I'll tell you a few things about it. It has sap. It has songs. And it has Miley Cyrus. Yes, I am talking about The Last Song. And yes, I did go and see it on opening day. And yes, I am going to see it again. And no, it isn't that good. (I went on Wednesday with my mother. Now my friends from school want to see it. I would not voluntarily go to this film twice in two days. I'm not insane).

The Last Song is, of course, the newest book-to-film adaption from Nicholas Sparks, the author of such literary/cinematic hits as A Walk to Remember (good, but WAY too depressing), Dear John (meh. Too sappy), and The Notebook (THE GREATEST ROMANCE OF ALL TIME). Going into the theatre I had some mixed feelings. I didn't know what to expect. Was this going to be another sapfest (yes, that is so a word! Shut up Blogger spellcheck!) or another great film with such classic scenes such as this and such great kisses such as this (why did I even link that? If you are reading this blog, you've most certainly seen that kiss. A few dozen times)? Well, it was a mixture of both, really. Yes, there was sap. And yes, I did cry (and okay, for the record, I am not a big movie crier. The last movie I cried at was Raise Your Voice, when her brother died. Stop laughing).

The romance part of the film revolved around Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth (Ronnie and Will respectively). Personally, I didn't buy it. The romance was too quick and formulaic and predictable. And the writing wasn't good. And remember, this is coming from someone who has seen and loved every romantic movie and tv show known to man. My standards are obviously low (I enjoyed Legally Blonde 2), so when I say the romance is bad, the romance is bad. They sure do look like a nice couple though:

(as everyone already knows, they are a couple in real life. How long do you think that's going to last? Longer than 6 months? I'll take you on that bet)

The other half of the plot revolved around Greg Kinnear. Now, I don't want to give any spoilers, but we all know someone must die in a Nicholas Sparks film (Mandy Moore in A Walk to Remember, Richard Gere in Nights in Rodanthe, Kevin Costner in Message in a Bottle, Gena Rowlands and James Garner in The Notebook). Just putting that out there...

Anyway, that part of the film was good. Sappy, of course, but not terrible. It could have been a lot worse. And they didn't actually show anyone die, which I appreciated. The funeral was a bit much for me, with the whole song thing. But it is called The Last Song, so what can you expect?

All in all, 2 1/2 stars. The very definition of average. Will I be seeing it again? Yes, but only to because my friends want to. Will I be buying the DVD? (the true test, especially in the age of illegal online movies. Only the best of the best are purchased for road trips/internet failures) No. Should you go see it? Well, if you want a good cry...and an bad romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...