Monday, April 5, 2010

The YA Awards are Back!

New theory: writing a blog post will warm me up to writing an essay. And yes, I am talking about that essay that was due over a month ago. I have to finish it. The guilt is killing me. But somehow, I just can't. God, help me. I just need to sit down and write it. So, I'll just write a blog post to, um, get me writing. So what if I'm writing about my love of chick lit instead of how bias influences knowledge. Writing is writing, is it not? (And yes, I am aware that none of this makes sense, thank you).

I know you have all been waiting for me to get back to the YA Awards. Well, there are not more urgent movie reviews, so I suppose I shall. Now, what should the award be today? How about Best Ending? Sound good to you? Sounds good to me. (yes, the insanity continues. I am now having a conversation with myself. Awesome.). So, drum roll please!

BEST ENDING
Definition: The last part of a novel or series of novels, typically when the hero and heroine get together
ie. the fairytale ending


1) Forever Princess, The Princess Diaries Series
2) Teen Idol
3) Breaking Dawn, The Twilight Series
4) Footfree and Fancyloose, The Bass Ackwards and Belly Up Series
5) Perfect Fifths, The Jessica Darling Series

And the winner is....

Yes, the second Meg Cabot in a row. You'll notice that the rest of the nominees are all series-enders, meaning a giant climatic ending after like ten books, in some cases. And somehow, Teen Idol, a little old stand alone, beat them all. And yes, it is THAT good.

I'm torn. I want to describe the ending so you all know why I love it so much, but I don't want to give it away for anyone who hasn't read the book (please, please read this book! It's so good!). So, I'll say this now: SPOILER ALERT

(there, I made it as obvious as possible, using as many different font types/sizes/colours as I could. Don't say I didn't warn you!). The ending to Teen Idol revolves around Jen Greenly and Scott and it is the cutest ending of all time. You see, Jen had been showing this really famous actor guy, Luke Striker, around her town so he could do research for his next role. Everyone had assumed they would get together, but they didn't because Jen was really in love with her old friend Scott, the school newspaper editor we had recently moved back to town. He liked her and she liked him, but she refused to admit it so he moved onto the gross Geri Lynn (okay, she wasn't that gross. But she wasn't Jen, so you had to hate her). In the end, Scott gets so frustrated by the whole situation that he asks to go for a walk with Jen during this anti-prom party. On this innocent little walk he kisses her, but she pulls away because the corsage pin is hurting her. He interprets this as a rejection, but then goes on to say how he has liked since forever. And she tells him she loves him. And they kiss some more. It's a fantastic ending (I'm not doing it justice, am I?). Just read the book. It is the sweetest, most romantic ending of all time. If you like YA romance at all, you'll love this ending, trust me.

READ THIS BOOK, that's all I can say. It deserves this award, with this awesome ending. READ IT READ IT READ IT. Okay, go on now, go get yourself a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...