Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cuba!

Wow, what a great thing to come back to. I'm away a week, and when I log into blogger, I find a ton of new comments (which I promise to respond to ASAP!), an awesome shout out from an awesome blogger, and tons of page views! 

Plus, I come back with so many new posts, just waiting to be written. A review of the new Sisterhood book is next on my list, followed by a discussion of Gossip Girl, and many, many more exciting things. But first, I just have to tell you about my trip. 

I have to admit, I was not looking forward to this vacation. I did not want to spend a week with my class in Cuba. I know that sounds ridiculous, but when you're shy like me, spending that much time with people in a confined area can be really stressful. So, my expectations were low. On top of that, my nerves were high, since this was my first vacation without any parents. First plane ride without supervision. First time going through customs alone. First time having to be responsible for myself like this. That's a lot of responsibility. And a lot of stress. 

It was so much better than I expected. Not perfect, but pretty darn close. 

I normally don't share pictures of me or my friends, but here are a few, to give you a little taste of my week in Cuba (and make you salivate just a little bit):

The ocean! So bright and beautiful. 

Reading by the pool. I did a ton of this--meaning tons of reviews in the very near future!

Do you see how blue that water is?

Hotel room. Best part? Air conditioning!

We got in the morning, ate breakfast, went for a swim in the ocean, read by the pool all day, and then "partied" all night. I say "party" in quotations because we're really straight laced kids, so all we really did was play truth or dare or, at worse, strip poker. 

The days were so relaxing. The food kind of sucked, but the snack bar was good. The heat was awful towards the middle of the day, but the pool could quickly fix that. A perfect balance. Reading, swimming, talking with friends. 

The nights were a little bit less relaxing. My classmates are known as the "good kids" at school, meaning that they don't drink or do drugs or anything. So when they were finally done with exam hell, and finally free of parental supervision, they really let loose. Many of them got drunk many times. One of them smashed their face in because of a drunk accident. Many of them puked. I stayed sobered and watched all that, laughing at their crazy antics and worrying for their safety. 

But I was daring, by my standards at least. I went to a club! It had flashing lights and incredibly loud music. It was fun. Hot. Tiring. An interesting experience. I also played spin the bottle. Now, I know, normal people play this game at twelve or thirteen. I played it for the first time at eighteen. Because that's what good kids do. Actually, no, that's what nerdy academic kids do. Or, at least, that's what I did. It was...fun. Different. Cliched. It got old fast, but it was fun while it lasted. 

Sixteen people went in total, most of whom have been in all my classes for three or four years. It was really nice being able to talk to them outside the restrictions of school, to relax with them. I feel closer all of them, making even harder to say goodbye to them all when we graduate next week. 

I thought the trip would suck, but I really loved it. I didn't love the heat. And I got tired of all the drunken idiocy. And I missed home. But I'm glad I went. Glad I took the risk. Glad I know these people. Sad to see them go. 

And that was my trip.  Such a fun week. Soon to be a bittersweet memory. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...